Comfort and fit are crucial. Ear muffs need to be comfortable when worn for an extended period of time. The removal of ear muffs for even short periods of time can significantly increase your exposure to noise and therefore, reduce their effectiveness. A good seal of the cushion against your head is also important to maintain effectiveness.
1. Check ear muffs to see which way they should be worn.
2. Oval ear muffs are meant to be worn so that the oval is vertical.
3. Brush hair away from ears, so that it doesnít affect the seal.
4. Place ear muffs over ears, making sure that the ears fit comfortably inside the shells.
5. Adjust the headband so that the ear muffs are a snug fit on your head.
6. Run your fingers around the cushions to check that they are making a good seal against your head. Be aware that the side arm of your glasses can affect the seal.
7. If you canít get a good seal:
Care and Cleaning of Ear Muffs
Clean earmuffs with soapy water and a cloth.
Copyright © 1998 Farm Noise & Hearing Network